Brethren:

Please send all submissions to napalmbreath82@gmail.com. I am happy review anything, and will surely post if I like it. I may even post it if I dont like it. So send that shit! Bands: if you want me to take something down, please let me know and I will do so promptly without question.

Thursday, November 28, 2013

Mayhem--Deathcrush


An EP that needs no introduction. I wont begin to elaborate on the music contained on Mayhem's "Deathcrush"; rather, I'd like to share what it means to me. I think most familiar with the early black metal scene in Norway could agree that many came to see Deathcrush as an ethos; that it spawned a fermentation of ideas and approaches to music; that in the end, despite all controversy, something lasting was bestowed upon this wretched earth with the introduction of Deathcrush. Musically it builds on the earlier work of Bathory and Celtic Frost, but with a necrotic edge and darkness unrivaled by even some of todays bands. Symbolically, what I like the most about Deathcrush is its radical turning-away from society; the idea that society as democratically understood is meaningless in the face of certain death (and it is certain). I can appreciate the idea walking into the freezing woods, away from the sterile masses, with their religiously corrupted views of reality. I can identify with the lapse in respect for, the exhaustion with, the so-called love of life. Have you never felt like this:

???

If not, then I suppose this post seems like artsy-clinical-depression.  This is a must have for any so-called fan of black metal. But I suppose that could have gone unsaid.



Get it

No comments:

Post a Comment